Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Texlaxing could be a possibility.

Well, I've been trying to find something new to do with my hair so of course I went and got a Dominican Blow-out last week and I'm still trying to hold onto it for this week. LOL I will probably go over it a little with my blow dryer tonight. I'm not sure when I'm going to wet my hair and let my curls return. I guess I'll see soon enough - maybe this weekend.

So, I've been thinking about other hair options. I'm not really wanting to relax my hair back to bone str8. I've done that and I realize that I was doing way too much in relaxing my hair. After all that I have learned these past 2 years, I can not believe that I even had hair down my back. I would do my touch up and apply the relaxer all the way down to the tips of my hair strands! Yes, all the way down the hair - every time! What was I thinking? I was a dayum fool! So, if I ever went back to that route I wouldn't do the things I was doing before. It was just foolish.

I am seriously considering texlaxing though. Texlaxing is simply under processing the hair with a relaxer chemical. I read up on this yesterday and it truly is an art to this thing. There is a great article here on texlaxing. I read it yesterday and actually took notes. There were 5 different methods for texlaxing listed in the article. When I took noted I thought I would combine all 5 methods to try and keep as much texture in my hair as possible. Basically I would like my same hair just not as bulky. ...and I don't want to get one of those "bulk reducing" haircuts either! I heard that those haircuts are great at first, but they are horrible once it starts to grow out.

So, if I do this correctly, there may not even be that much of a visible difference to my hair. I don't want my hair to look processed. I would just like the bulk removed, less shrinkage, and just a little more curl definition. My mind is basically made up that I am going to go through with it. I'm not afraid of the chemicals as I have been relaxing my own hair since I was 19, so that's no big deal. I have never really trusted my hair to other people. that way if I mess my hair up - it's on me. I could always get a weave, wig, or braids until it grew back, but i never had to deal with that.

I've been trying to rationalize and think: "What is the worst that could happen if I texlax my hair?" Well, the worst is that all of my hair could fall out. LOL I doubt that will happen as I only intend to leave the mixture in my hair for <15 minutes. I used to leave relaxers on my hair for 45 minutes! (yeah, I know) So, what else could happen. Well, my hair could end up bone str8 instead of "textured". That would be an epic fail, but not a loss. I would just keep it moving and make my "newly str8" hair work.

I have had to re-learn how to take care of my hair in the past 2 years. I am a bit discouraged that my hair isn't longer. I know that everyone's hair grows at a different rate, but I just feel like my hair should have been much longer than it is now. I mean, true enough, blown out it brushes my shoulders in the back, but I wanted it to be longer. I am not sure what I was expecting. it just seemed like when my hair was relaxed it grew so much faster. Patience is not a virtue that I current;y have. I have been trying to work on that, but when I want something I want it RIGHT NOW!!!! I've made some good decisions and also some bad ones by "jumping the gun" so to speak.

I seem to get "like this" every couple of months. You know, where I just need a change. Last year i wanted color, so I started henna-ing my hair. This year it's something else. I mean, I am gonna be 40 in a couple of years. I have to keep it young and fresh! LOL I have to remain a trendsetter in my circle of friends and go back to being the chameleon I used to be. one of my friends told me a few years back when they were looking at my pictures, "Wow! I didn't know that was you. You have so many different looks." I need to get back to that. Now that I have been losing weight it's a lot easier.

Going to the mall and seeing all of the different styles and healthy relaxed hair doesn't help either. I saw so many different styles & textures. *sigh* It doesn't make my final decision any easier. Oh well, I'll continue to weigh out my options and I'll make sure to keep you all posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment