Thursday, January 28, 2010

To Blow Out or not to Blow Out

Ok, so I have been on the hair blogs and feening to blow my hair out. I mean, it's been over a year since I have had my hair straight And I kind of miss it. I have been asking questions and researching to see what types of precautions I need to take to make sure that I don't damage my hair with the heat of the blow dryer. I know I don't want to go through another "grow-out" process just because I wanted to try to blow my hair out.




Anywho, I went and bought some Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide to protect my hair from the heat. It came highly recommended by the ladies over on the 4a board at NaturallyCurly.com. The Redken was about $16 for a bottle and a little really goes a long way. I'm sure I will have that bottle for a long time because I will not be putting heat on my hair but maybe twice a year.




So, the first thing I did was shampoo my hair with Kinky Curly Come Clean. Right now that's my holy grail shampoo. I love the smell of it, and it gets my hair really clean. I only have to use it every other month unless my hair has a lot of product buildup. After I shampooed, I conditioned with Suave Coconut - another holy grail. While the conditioner was in my hair I made sure to do a thorough detangle. Then I rinsed out the conditioner, towel blotted my hair dry and added the Redken.




After the Redken was applied all over my hair, I went on to blow it out. I used the Denman to sort of stretch my hair while drying it. I used my hair dryer on medium heat and made sure to keep the nozzle away from my hair as much as I could. Back in the old days I would have used the dryer attachment and everything to try and get my hair to the coveted "bone str8" look. Well, after about an hour of blow drying, I decided to give up. My arms were getting tired and so was I. I liked the freedom of my wash-n-go's and this was NOT what was up. When I stopped, my hair looked like this:




Let me just say, when I thought of blowing my hair out, this was not what I had in mind! LOL I truly thought I would get my hair nearly straight like some of the ladies on the hair board did. I should have know better. My hair rebels! It was probably laughing at me the entire time I was attempting to blow my hair out.

I guess if I really want it blown out I would have to go to a professional. I'm thinking I need my ends trimmed and I wouldn't dare try that on my own. I have notice a few split ends here and there and I don't want it to get worse. I'm thinking if I let anyone straighten and trim my ends I would have to go to Urbanbella to let them do it. I don't know if I would even trust anyone else with my hair. Ahhhh, ok, so I took just a few minutes to call Urbanbella to see if they had to straighten my hair to trim the ends and they do not. Not sure how accurately they could trim it without straightening it, but hey, they are in business for a reason. I think I will call in the morning to make an appointment with them. I think I can treat myself to a professional cut/trim once a year.

Oh well, I'll keep you all posted as to when I get my trim and how it goes. I'll have updates with the whole experience.

Ciao ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment