Wednesday, December 2, 2009

There's No Place Like Home


With the holidays last week I know many people traveled to a place that they fondly call “home”. Often times this “home” is a smaller town/city where they mother or grandmother lives – along with various other family members. Anywho…


I went home to Tuscaloosa, AL over the holiday break and I had a really good time. I always look forward to spending time with family that I don’t get to see often. My children get to visit their Grandmothers and Nanas. We eat at places that we don’t have here in the ATL, and life is just a little more relaxing.


Well, while grocery shopping at Bruno’s, a lady (with relaxed hair) came up to me and just struck up a conversation about my hair. Here’s how it happened:


Lady: Hi, how are you?
Me: I’m fine, and you?
Lady: I’m good. I just wanted to let you know that your hair is pretty and I really like it.
Me: (smiling) Thank you.
Lady: How did you get it to look like that? Did you twist it first?
Me: No, I just washed it with conditioner and added some gel and went on my way.
Lady: Well, it’s really pretty. Do you get it done locally?
Me: No, I do it myself at home.
Lady: So you did nothing but wash it and it looks like that? Mine wouldn’t do that.
Me: Yep, all I do is wash it and add some gel. I had to get rid of my perm before it would do this though.
Lady: I don’t think my hair would do that. I guess we have different textures and that’s just the texture of your hair. Well, it’s very pretty.
Me: (smiling) Thank you.
Lady: See you later.
Me: Ok, bye.
(my husband walks up to me)
Husband: Who was that lady? Do you know her? What did she want?
Me: She wanted to talk about my hair.
Husband: Uh oh. I can hear you now: You got the African drums in the background and you talking about how you use natural berries in your hair and henna. “Child, I use Kinky Curly…”
Me: Shut up! LOL

I got 2 other compliments on my hair during my visit home. I was really shocked because Tuscaloosa is a small town and I see a few naturals there, but it’s nothing like the natural community here in Atlanta. T-town showed me and my fab hair some love over the holidays, and it truly made me think:

…there’s no place like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment