Thursday, September 10, 2009

Lemon Cake Batter

Mixtress in the making? Could be. Back about 2 months ago I ordered some butters: Macadamia Nut, Aloe, Olive, & Shea. I ordered them with the intentions of using them for my hair in various ways. Well, I have been having the itch to mix a few things together to see how it would work for my hair, hence the new hand-held mixer I bought a week or so ago.



So, yesterday I went by Whole Foods and bought some Aloe Vera Gel and some Vegetable Glycerin so that I could make my mixtures last night. I was so excited. I took out all of my butters, my jojoba oil, and my sparkling lemonade. I was trying to figure out what butter(s) to incorporate into this mixture I was making.



So, I got my glass bowl and put a little shea butter in, then I added the aloe butter. The aloe butter is very soft - not at all like the shea butter. Then I decided I would also add in some olive butter which is also a very soft butter. I whipped the three butters together and in no time it was a very smooth. Not very hard at all, more like cream. Then I added some jojoba oil, aloe vera gel, glycerin, and some sparkling lemonade for scent. When I whipped it, I wanted the mixture to be a bit thicker so I added a little more shea butter.



It smelled great, however the consistency was not exactly what I was going for initially. I was trying for something more like very, very thick - like very thick whipped cream or a pudding consistency. No, more like spreadable cream cheese - yea, that's it. Then I thought back - in the beginning I wanted something comparable to the "creams" being sold by some of the upper end boutique style natural hair care companies, so hey - not a loss.



My mixture reminded me of cake batter. LOL If you look at it, it looks solid. Even if you turn the bowl on it's side, the "batter" moves very slowly, if at all. Oh, but when I touched it, it was very light and smooth, and it melted into my skin/hand right away. I knew I was going to like this. I wiped off my hand mixer to get all of the batter off, and rubbed my hand in my hair and oh my gosh!!!! It made my hair feel soooo good!







I co-washed my hair with Suave Naturals Vanilla Flower conditioner and detangled. I towel blotted my hair dry and began to part my hair and apply the batter to my hair and brush through with the Denman. My hair and I both were melting with pleasure. After I brushed through each battered section, I twisted the hair. I covered my hair with a silk scarf and bonnet. I loved smelling the lemony scent while sleeping. It was so relaxing.



When my husband came into our room, I asked him to smell my hair and tell me what it smelled like. He told me it smelled like a cake his grandmother used to make. Ok, that made me smile. Then he smelled it again and was like, I smell a little lemon too, like lemon cake. (That was the a-ha moment, because I had no idea what to call this concoction, but he gave me the name without ever knowing.)



This stuff is even good for your skin! I put some on my husband last night before bed and this morning his skin felt amazing! I hated that he had to take a shower! LOL



When I woke up this morning my hair was mega moisturized! I loved it. It feels good - and my hair has a wonderful lemon smell that is not overpowering. I know my hair is loving it. Who knew I could make such wonderful things? I can't wait to make my next batch of "batter".

3 comments:

  1. What is the sparkling lemonade? Is it a drink?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's actually a fragrance oil that I got from Snowdrift Farms. http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hubby's a sweety

    ReplyDelete