Monday, August 17, 2009

I'm on a roll.

I did my 5th henna application over the weekend, and I must say that I am super pleased. I got some fresh MDH Henna from the Indian market on Saturday. I couldn't wait for my husband to bring it home before I mixed it up. I had my supplies all lined up on the bathroom counter - ready and waiting. It had been nearly a month since my last henna and considering I said I would do it every 2 - 3 weeks, I was long over due. My little greys were beginning to peek from under the rich cherry red of the majority of my hair. That's always a sure sign that a henna application is needed. It had been way too long and I really was itching to do it. ...and my hair needed extra attention in the worst way. What better than a henna application to get things started.



I mixed my henna at about 5:00pm and it smelled soo good. It was fresh. I could tell by the bright green color that it was a good batch. I used 200g of henna to cover my hair. My 1st box was an older box and I could tell by the color of the henna too. I had the older box since May. But no big deal because the new box was supa dupa fresh.


By 7:30, there was already some dye release. I checked on the henna and immediately (without removing the plastic wrap) I could see the color change. I didn't apply the henna mix until about 10:00pm. I showered so I could wash my hair and start with a clean slate. It seems like when I henna w/ the henna I have just purchased on freshly shampooed hair I get these crazy amazing results!


The dye release was fast and once I mixed the honey in with my henna paste/mud, it was super smooth. The henna hardly had any lumps and this made for an easy application process. I knew that relaxer applicator brush would come in handy for something else! LOL



After applying the henna, I kind of massaged it into my hair so that I could make sure that my hair was truly saturated with the pasty mud. It kind of let good omn my hair. It was nice to see my hair "hang" a little. Of course I don't see much of that. It was tough trying to get my hair into a position where I couls get the plastic wrap around it, but I made it work. The I placed the curl cap over that. Once I got into my bed, I placed the heating pad on my head and a scull cap on top of that while I slept. Yeah, I was doing a lot. A little of the henna dripped, but it was nothing I couldn't handle.



When I woke up and it was nearly 6am, I decided to go ahead and rinse the henna. It seemed like it took a little while to rinse from my hair, so I helped it along with a little co-wash. It really wasn't so bad, I guess because I had it on all night, it really started to "stick" to my skin and hair. Once I co-washed the henna out, I added my deep conditioner mix of Hello Hydration, honey, and EVOO. I left that on for about 4 - 5 hours. My hair loved it, and I continued to smell like honey on into the night. :o)


When I rinsed the deep conditioning treatment from my hair it felt so good. I added some Long Aid Gel and went on my way. My hair looked great. I am so pleased with this henna treatment. It's amazing how amazing the results can be - especially if you have some really fresh henna. I still can't for the life of me figure out how a green paste can make your hair turn orange/red.

(look @ that great color)



Ok, so at least 2 weeks from now I will henna again. This is going to be interesting. I really want to wait and do it 3 weeks from now, but we'll see. If my grey is really peeping out, then I will henna for sure in 2 weeks. It's just hard to henna on the weekends that I get paid because I have so many other things I need to do on payday weekends. I'll work it out somehow.

2 comments:

  1. Miss Sandy, I am very interested in using the Henna, but is there any way I can use it without it dying my hair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sweet-T. If you are interested in the conditioning effects of henna but don't want the color, I would suggest looking into cassia. The Henna For Hair website has plenty of great information on Cassia or "neutral henna" which it is often referred to. Here is the link:

    http://www.hennaforhair.com/faq/cassiaobovata.html

    Also keep in mind, if your hair is very, very dark or black, the coloring effects of henna will be very minute. Check the Henna For Hair website and readh through the ebook as well. They even show pictures of people with various hair colors who have used henna along with the end results. You can also check "CurlyNikki.com" for some information. She has a wealth of info on henna and cassia, and she is also a mod on the Henna for Hair forum.

    Good luck, and come back to let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete