Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Miss Lillian BC'd




In April 2008 my then 6 year old daughter told me that she didn't want me to put "the white stuff" on her hair anymore. She said it was cold, and itchy and she didn't like it. She told me that I couldn't do puffs for her anymore and she wanted her puffs back. I talked to her and explained that it would take a while for her hair to grow the p.erm out and for a 6 year old, she was cool. So - that began her transition.




Well, my daughter saw a commercial on TV one night back in May. There was a little girl about her age on the commercial who had a natural afro and my daughter thought it was so cute. I told her, "You can have your hair like that when we cut the p.ermed part off."

She was so excited that she wanted it cut off before she went back to school in August. I told her, "sure thing, we can make your hair like hers". She had been gone to visit her grandmother for the summer and just returnd this weekend and was still talking about the curly afro.


So, with her having been in swimming class and all, when she came home her hair was a little dry. Over the weekend we talked about when she wanted to cut her hair and she said soon. Cool, I'm definitely ready to chop, but it's not my hair - it's on her and she has been a real trooper - especially wanting to have "long hair".

Well, I needed to wash her hair and told her that I could cut it if she wanted me to. So she says, "let me think about it" and layed down in my bed. Then she jumped up and said, "I want the afro!" I was so excited. I immediately ran and got the conditioner and went to work.


It took a long time to chop. She had a lot of relaxed hair left to cut. Also, it was hard in some places to tell where the line of demarcation was for sections of her hair. But, we got the job done. She's happy and I am happy.

2 comments:

  1. your daughter is soo cuute!!!
    YAY on her going natural :)

    ReplyDelete